Saturday, March 11, 2006

BSI Emergency Lighting Manual

WORK PORTFOLIO
Design + Graphics
Title: PD 2081:2005 | A Guide to Emergency Lighting
Items: Front Cover, Spine, Back Cover
Size: Royal Octavo
Client: British Standards (BSI)

British Standards is the National Standards Body of the UK, responsible for facilitating, drafting, publishing and marketing British Standards and other guidelines. BSI also pioneered the development of the BS 5750, which has become ISO 9000 - the world's most popular management system series.


(front cover + spine + back cover spread)


This was one of the two job leads from my first BSI Manual Cover (check it out). Dig this, the writer's name is Watts. The client gave an open-ended design brief and liked the way I interpreted the title. The way I saw it:

An emergency situation would probably be dark or smoky, or in extreme outdoor conditions. Amidst the chaos, I will need lighting that does not blind but clearly guides me to the Exit door where I can get Help.

Cool light blue bands on the floor (incidentally in a neon version of the 'BSI Business Unit identity colour') help direct the eye to an Exit door in the distance.

A familiar graphic, the 'white runner' is key to point me to my ultimate destination. Radiating lines give perspective and white tunnel lights help guide your vision towards the Escape route.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home